Sunday, January 23, 2011

Is it far enough past the new year to make a big change?

Ack!
I never pictured myself blogging about anything.  Especially about something as superficial as my weight.  In have never been a super girlie girl.  Instead, I lean more towards the outdoorsy, crunchy end of the spectrum.  Those who know me would never guess that my secret is a deep unhappiness with my body.  I am not obese but I am 30 lbs heavier than my comfortable weight and I am so tired of feeling unhappy about it.  Weight was never an issue until I had my second child two years ago.  I was always active in my twenties-- walking an hour each direction three times per day while in college, with long hikes in the woods on the weekends.  While pregnant with our first child, we moved to New York City.  I still walked a lot (you pretty much HAVE to there) but I gained 70 lbs anyway.  Fortunately, it all melted off withing two months of delivering my big girl.  My second pregnancy, though, was different.  I gained 65 lbs with my little one but only lost 30 lbs.  Plus, she was a baby that never slept and was extremely "colicky" (we later learned that she has severe multiple food allergies).  The stress and exhaustion of the first year and a half with her made it feel completely impossible to ever work out or cook healthy meals.  We soon moved to the suburbs of Boston and I found that I walked less and less and drove more and more. After we learned of her food issues, our family began really focusing on eating healthy, allergy free foods.  My "husband" (we are actually partners but it is just easier to refer to him as the hubby for this purpose) immediately lost 30 lbs but I gained weight.  Going vegan 6 months later made my soul healthier and happier but I gained even more weigh.  I didn't even realize vegans could become overweight!

My problem is carbohydrates.  Some days I would eat only bread (wheat and animal free but still carb heavy), cereal (same) and rice (ditto).  Plus, I have a monster sweet tooth and began experimenting with allergy free baking.  The possibilities were endless...and delicious! and...I gained more weight.

Now is the time to take back my life and my body.  I haven't bought clothes in two years because I refuse to accept that this is my body.  I am less active with my kids because I don't have the energy and I no longer hike regularly-- my passion.  This summer will be different!  My kids are old enough to enjoy hiking and I plan to take them to explore the beautiful woods of New England.
I began working out at the gym three weeks ago.  I haven't lost any weight yet but I am actually enjoying the workouts!  I feel like I am finally on the right track.  Here are my current stats:

weight: 152.5 (I am 5'4")
stomach: 37 inches
chest: 36 inches
hips: 42 inches


My goal is a much smaller hip measurement, no more back fat and muffin top and strong arms.  I hate to have a goal weight because I know I need to take in to account the muscle mass I'll (hopefully) gain, but I am one of those people who needs a measurable goal.  So, I am aiming for 130-- 10 lbs higher than my comfy 20's weight (I'd be thrilled with 125, though).
Current workout routine:  treadmill 5 days per week.  I have recently worked up to jogging about half of that time.  I also use the machines for a half an hour-- arms one day and legs the next.  I recently bought a yoga tape (Bob from the Biggest Loser) and love doing that at least once per week-- though I'd love to do that one more  if my kids would ever nap (sigh).

I am excited because I ordered Tracy Anderson's 30 Day Method and plan to begin it at the beginning of February.  I have heard great things about her method and like that she has a vegetarian option.  Just hoping that I can adapt it vegan style (I can't believe that Madonna-- a TA disciple--would eat dairy, right?).

I plan to use this forum as a way to keep myself honest.  I will post my food intake and workout regularly and maybe one day some friends will find me and join along.  I have yet to meet another vegan trying to lose weight but I know there must be someone out there!

Tomorrow I'll post more about my current eating plan (or lack therof)....

No comments:

Post a Comment